Sports massage and remedial massage are deep tissue massage treatments using a variety of techniques aimed at working out muscular tightness and trigger points.
These therapies leave you feeling looser, more flexible and ‘lighter’ in your muscles. It helps improve posture and addresses areas of injury and spasm. Treatments can include a combination of techniques such as myofascial release, stretching, and soft tissue and trigger point release.
Regular sports and remedial massage for neck, shoulder and low back areas can help prevent accumulated stresses which lead to joint pain, headaches and backache.
Pre-event treatments help to prepare the athlete for his/her event both physically and psychologically.
Post event sessions will go a long way towards restoring the used muscles to their full length and removing any waste products accumulated during the event.
Between events, sports massage works on problem areas, reducing and preventing the risks of injury and keeping muscles in peak condition during training.
This massage is aimed at anybody who has an area of dysfunction in the soft tissues of their body. Many of our patients come for maintenance treatments to keep a check on any tight and aching muscles.
It is an ideal therapy for those requiring a firm but relaxing massage, as treatment is focused on the tight and tender tissues, but incorporated into a whole area massage.
Please also see Complementary Therapies
In addition to sports massage our Sports Therapist, Claire can also offer the following as part of the sports therapy session:
- Pilates instruction (with Matt)
- Exercise programmes
- Stretch programmes
- Postural assessment
- Injury rehabilitation
- Cupping (with Claire)
Sports massage can be focused on treating a specific injury or used more generally as maintenance for tight and aching muscles. Techniques used aim to realign muscle fibre, mobilise joints, release areas of chronic tension and strengthen and balance the muscles.
“Excellent for diagnosis and explaining WHY the patient has the problem. Massage is as strong as is acceptable to attain a more permanent relief. Exercises are also explained fully with the further advantage of having them emailed for further reference. The aggravated part of the body feels greatly relieved and relaxed afterwards – wonderful!”
Manual Lymphatic Massage (MLD) is one the fastest growing areas of massage and one that uses the lightest touch.
MLD can treat many symptoms
• Eliminates toxic build-up and strengthens the immune system.
• Assists all pre- and post-cosmetic surgery by reducing the healing time, reducing the pain, bruising and swelling.
• Relieves many chronic conditions such as chronic sinusitis, chest infections and catarrh
• Relieves irritable Bowel Syndrome and constipation
• Reduces Arthritic and rheumatic pain
• Alleviates symptoms of ME
• Controls migraines
• Helps with skin disorders such as acne
• Helps reduce all forms of post-operative swelling
• Relieves stress, anxiety and tension
• Restores hormonal imbalances (puberty, pre- & post-pregnancy, menopause)
• Relieves fluid congestion, such as puffy eyes & face, swollen legs & ankles and menstrual bloating.
So what is Lymph?
This is a very brief guide to lymphatic fluids & their role in maintaining your health
• Break down and destroy harmful substances (such as waste products, bacteria, viruses and cancer cells)
• Transport nutrients, vitamins and hormones throughout the body
• Strengthen the body’s immune system through the production of white blood cells
• Eliminate excess fluid from the tissues
MLD is a very gentle massage, using the lightest touch that improves the efficiency of the lymphatic system – the body’s waste disposal system. Specific and gentle movement of the skin stimulate and increase the rate of removal of waste products, toxins and excess fluid from the body’s tissues
In summary, the lymphatic system is a neat purification and drainage system and it provides us with immunity against disease & infection. We need it to work effectively in order to stay healthy.
ABSOLUTE Contra-Indications to having Lymphatic Massage are:
• Diagnosed as suffering with Malignant disease/awaiting skin lesion biopsy
• Thrombosis/DVT within last 6 months
• Heart Disease, especially right side insufficiency
• Acute infection
• Major viral infection ie Glandular Fever
• Low Blood pressure
• Varicose veins